Current Affairs: 26 October 2018 – Daily News Update
1. President of India inaugurates International Arya Mahasammelan-2018
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the International Arya Mahasammelan – 2018 in Delhi.
- Speaking on the occasion, the President said that in the 19th century when we were considering our culture and beliefs inferior than the western culture, Swami Dayanand Saraswati showed us the path of renaissance and self-pride.
- He was an intrepid warrior of social and spiritual reform. He took effective measures for educational and social reform especially for women empowerment and eradication of untouchability. His work is relevant even in the present times both for Indian society and the entire world.
2. Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurates 10th Nuclear Energy Conclave
The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh said that India has vindicated the vision of the founding father of country’s Nuclear Energy Programme, Dr Homi J. Bhabha, when he had said that India’s nuclear programme will be used for peaceful purposes.
- He was delivering the inaugural address at the 10th Nuclear Energy Conclave.
- The theme of the conclave is ‘Nuclear Power- Towards a Clean & Base Load Energy’.
- Dr Singh said that the Cabinet has given its approval for construction of 10 units of India’s indigenous Pressurized Heavy Water Reactors (PHWR).
- This significant decision has been taken to fast-track India’s domestic nuclear power programme, and give a push to country’s nuclear industry, he added.
- Speaking about other initiatives, he said that the Government has amended sections of the Atomic Energy Act, 1962 through the Atomic Energy (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
3. 3-Day India Mobile Congress began in Delhi
India Mobile Congress (IMC) is one of the biggest marquee Mobile, Internet, and Technology event for South and South-East Asia, with the theme, “New Digital Horizons – Connect. Create. Innovate.”,
- IMC 2018 began on a grand-scale at Aero City, New Delhi with over 300 companies, 20 countries participating in this prestigious event in the Asia Pacific region.
- Shri Manoj Sinha, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Communications and Minister of State for Railways inaugurated this 2nd edition of the epoch marking event.
- It was began in 2017 to build a collaboration platform for technologies and services in next generation mobile communications.
- The inauguration ceremony was attended by over 5000 people from 10 partner countries, and included policy makers, ambassadors, opinion makers, change agents, bureaucrats and investors.
4. Iraq PM Adel Abdul Mahdi sworn in
Iraq’s new Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi was sworn in but could not announce the full cabinet after legislators failed to reach a consensus on key postings.
- Abdul Mahdi was initially expected to nominate a full 22-member cabinet, including the defence and interior ministers.
- Under Iraq’s constitution, Shia, Sunnis, Kurds and other minorities must all be represented in cabinet.
5. Wipro appoints former SBI chairman Arundhati Bhattacharya as independent director
Wipro said it had appointed former State Bank of India chairman Arundhati Bhattacharya as an independent director beginning January 1, 2019.
- Bhattacharya’s appointment is for a period of five years and is subject to shareholder approval.
- Recently, she was also appointed to Infosys board.
6. Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony for 2014, 2015 & 2016 announced
The Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony for the years 2014, 2015 & 2016 is being conferred on the doyen of Manipuri dance Sh. Rajkumar Singhajit Singh; Chhayanaut (a cultural organization of Bangladesh) and on one of India’s greatest sculptors, Sh. Ram Vanji Sutar, respectively.
- The Jury under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister, Sh Narendra Modi and comprising of the Chief Justice of India, Justice Ranjan Gogoi, Shri N. Gopalaswami & Dr. Vinay Sahasrabuddhe after detailed discussions on 24th October, 2018 unanimously decided to select Sh. Rajkumar Singhajit Singh, Chhayanaut and Sh. Ram Vanji Sutar to be the recipients of the Tagore Award for the years 2014, 2015 & 2016 respectively, in recognition of their outstanding contribution to cultural harmony.
- The annual award was instituted by the Government of India during the commemoration of 150thBirth Anniversary of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore.
- The first Tagore Award was conferred on Pt. Ravi Shankar, the Indian Sitar Maestro in 2012 and second was conferred on Shri Zubin Mehta in 2013.
7. Corporation Bank bags MSME award
Corporation Bank has bagged the ‘Best MSME Bank – Winner 2018’ award instituted by the Assocham.
- Shivanand Hebbar, DGM, received the award from Chief Minister of Meghalaya Conrad K Sangma at the ‘6th Assocham SMEs Excellence Award – 2018’ in Delhi.
- It said that the award was conferred based on the bank’s performance in SME (small and medium enterprise) segment.
8. Dwayne Bravo Announces Retirement From International Cricket
Windies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo brought the curtains down on his 14-year international career by announcing his retirement from all formats of the game.
- However, the 35-year-old will continue to play T20 franchise cricket around the world.
- Bravo, who made his debut for the Windies in 2004, played 40 Tests, 164 one-day internationals (ODI) and 66 Twenty20 internationals (T20I)
Current Affairs: 26 October 2018 – Daily News Update