Current Affairs: 22 September 2018 – Daily News Update
1. International Peace Day 2018
The global community is celebrating the International Day of Peace. The day is observed on 21 September every year.
- The theme for this year is: “The Right to Peace – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights at 70”.
- This year, United Nations is celebrating the 70th year of the declaration of human rights adopted by the General Assembly.
2. 7th UNWTO Global Summit on Urban Tourism
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is organizing the 7th UNWTO Global Summit on Urban Tourism: A 2030 Vision for Urban Tourism, on 16-19 September, in Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- The Summit provides a unique platform to discuss the key issues shaping the future of urban tourism in the context of the 2030 Urban Agenda.
3. Vice President returns after successful visit to Serbia, Malta and Romania
The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu was on an official Visit to Serbia, Malta and Romania from September 14-20, 2018 and returned after a successful official visit.
Some key outcomes:
- Support for India’s aspiration to be on UNSC and for taking forward UN reforms.
- Endorsement of India’s stand on terror and support for early adoption of United Nation’s Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism.
- Strong support for resuming EU-India trade agreement after Romania assumes Presidency of EU.
- Business Forums generated a good deal of enthusiasm among the industrialists and businessmen in every country as they got to listen to the Vice President about India’s transformative initiatives. The growth story and the reports from World Bank, IMF quoted by Vice President enhanced awareness.
- The leaders in all the countries expressed unequivocal admiration for India’s economic growth and were eager to engage and partner with India politically, economically and culturally. In Romania, there was a special interest in Space and Aerospace. Malta expressed its desire to join the International Solar Alliance.
- There was a clear demand for Parliamentary friendship groups and frequent visits by Parliamentarians.
- The visit gave an opportunity for the members of India Diaspora to listen to the Vice President about the transformative agenda of the government and encouraged them to think of various ways in which they can contribute to the country’s development. The vice President underscored the growing importance of India on the world stage and drew attention to four key features that need to be recognised. He called them 4Ds – Democracy, Demographic dividend, Demand and Diaspora.
- The visit evoked a lot of interest among the top political leadership and there was an air of bonhomie in all the meetings. The banquets hosted by the President of Serbia and Malta as well as by the President of Senate of Romania provided an opportunity for sharing views on bilateral and multilateral issues with rare candour.
- The address to the Serbian Parliament was very well received and the admiration for India as the largest democracy and a vibrant, well functioning polity was more than evident in the standing ovation the Vice President received at the end of his address.
- MOUs entered into related to plant protection, tourism, air services, oil research, diplomatic training and maritime cooperation.
- In all the three countries, there was considerable interest in Yoga and Ayurveda and in Romania, the Vice President launched two books on Ayurveda and inaugurated an Ayurveda Information Centre.
4. Odisha to name Jharsuguda airport after Veer Surendra Sai
The Odisha Assembly has passed a resolution unanimously to name the newly-constructed Jharsuguda airport after noted freedom fighter Veer Surendra Sai.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the airport on September 22.
- Earlier, the Civil Aviation Ministry in July had denied naming the airport after the freedom fighter citing the absence of a state assembly resolution on this.
5. PM to launch Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana at Ranchi
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, will launch the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) at Ranchi, Jharkhand, on September 23, 2018.
- Under this scheme, over 10 crore families will be provided health assurance worth Rs. 5 lakh each, every year.
- The Prime Minister will visit an exhibition on the PMJAY. He will witness a demonstration of activities such as beneficiary identification, and e-card creation.
- On September 24, the Prime Minister will inaugurate Pakyong Airport, which will bring the State of Sikkim on the country’s aviation map.
6. PNB drags Lanco Vidarbha Thermal Power to NCLT
Lanco Vidarbha Thermal Power Limited, a subsidiary of Lanco Infratech Limited, now faces proceedings in the National Company Law Tribunal with the Punjab National Bank dragging it to the tribunal in Hyderabad for resolution.
- The diversified Lanco group’s woes seem to continue with Lanco Infratech Limited already on liquidation process and another group entity tackling legal proceedings and the Vidharbha unit is now taken to NCLT, Hyderabad.
- Petitioning the NCLT Hyderabad bench, the PNB has pleaded to take the case for the Corporate Insolvency Resolution Plan under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code.
7. IRDAI panel to examine fintech issues
IRDAI has constituted a committee, comprising its officials as well as senior executives of a few insurers, to study regulatory issues fin-tech poses for insurance.
- Besides in a fast evolving financial technology landscape, the move comes amid the authority’s emphasis on adopting a regulatory sandbox approach to experiment with fin-tech solutions.
- With IRDAI Chief General Manager Randip Singh Jagpal as the chairperson, the committee would identify key regulatory issues and gaps pertaining to fin-tech in insurance.
8. Lucknow Metro First From India To Get This International Award
The Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation (LMRC) has become the first ever metro rail corporation from India to bag the International ‘Royal Society For The Prevention Of Accidents’ (RoSPA) Award.
- LMRC has been given the Silver Award for its Phase 1A (North-South Corridor) in the Project/Infrastructure category for the year 2018.
Current Affairs: 22 September 2018 – Daily News Update