Current Affairs: 18 September 2018 – Daily News Update
1. International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer: 16 September
September 16 was designated by the United Nations General Assembly as the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer.
- This designation had been made on December 19, 2000, in commemoration of the date, in 1987, on which nations signed the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer.
- “Keep Cool and Carry On: The Montreal Protocol” is the theme for World Ozone Day 2018.
2. Dr. Mahesh Sharma releases National Museum Research Bulletin
The Minister of State for Culture (Independent Charge) and Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Dr. Mahesh Sharma released two important publications of the National Museum (M/o Culture), Sindhu Ghati Sabhyata:Ek Parichay (Hindi) and the National Museum Research Bulletin Number 10: Special issue (In House Publication), in New Delhi.
- The National Museum Research Bulletin has been revived after a long gap of 16 years.
- Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Sharma congratulated the efforts of National Museum to revive the research bulletin which he said will help to generate awareness about the activities of National Museum.
3. India – Morocco Tourism Bilateral meeting held in New Delhi
A bilateral meeting on Tourism Cooperation between India and Morocco led by the Minister of Tourism, Air Transport, Handicraft and Social Economy, Kingdom of Morocco, Mr. Mohamed Sajid and the Minister of State for Tourism (IC), Government of India, Shri. K. J. Alphons, held in New Delhi.
- During this meeting both the Ministers agreed to enhance the tourism cooperation between India & Morocco and to work towards increasing tourist arrivals between both countries.
- This meeting was followed by signing of an agreement of cooperation between the India Tourism Development Corporation and La Societe Marocaine D’Ingenierie Touristique, also known as Moroccan Agency for Tourism development (SMIT).
4. Piyush Goyal inaugurates the first ever India tourism Mart 2018
The Union Minister for Railways and Coal, Shri Piyush Goyal inaugurated the ‘first ever’ India Tourism Mart (ITM 2018) in the presence of Union Tourism Minister, Shri K J Alphons and the Tourism Minister of Morocco, Mr. Mohamed Sajid, in New Delhi.
- The India Tourism Mart is being organized by the Ministry of Tourism from 16th to 18th September 2018, in partnership with the Federation of Associations in Indian Tourism and Hospitality (FAITH) and with support of State /UT Governments.
- The function was held in presence of the Secretary, other senior officials of Tourism Ministry and Chairman/members of FAITH and also delegates from India and across the world.
- Inaugurating the event, Shri Piyush Goyal wished the best to the Tourism Ministry to reach the ambitious goal of US$100 billion FTA receipts/year within 5 years.
5. Iconic Time Magazine Sold for $190 Million in Cash
Time Magazine is being sold by Meredith Corp. to Marc Benioff, a co-founder of Salesforce, and his wife.
- Meredith announced that it was selling Time magazine for $190 million in cash to Benioff, one of four co-founders of Salesforce.
- The Benioffs are purchasing Time personally, and the transaction is unrelated to Salesforce.com, where Benioff is chairman and co-CEO and co-founder.
6. Vijaya Bank, Dena Bank, BoB to merge: Govt
The government said state-owned Bank of Baroda, Vijaya Bank and Dena Bank will be merged to create the country’s third largest lender as part of efforts to revive credit and economic growth.
- The move follows top lender State Bank of India last year merging with itself five of its subsidiary banks and taking over Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said the merger will make the banks stronger and sustainable as well as increase their lending ability.
- This merger will create third largest bank in India.
7. Agreement signed between Heavy Water Board and Greenstar Fertilizers Limited
An agreement has been entered between Heavy Water Board (HWB) and Greenstar Fertilizers Limited for routing of phosphoric acid through Solvent Extraction Plant, Tuticorin and supply of utilities and chemicals.
- Heavy Water Board, a constituent unit of DAE, has diversified its activities and is pursuing bulk production of various special materials required for DAE.
- This includes Nuclear Grade Solvents, Enriched Boron Compounds, Nuclear Grade Sodium and D Labeled compounds.
- Greenstar Fertilizers Limited is a leading manufacturer and marketer of fertilizers in India. Greenstar manufactures phosphatic fertilizers at Tuticorin in Tamil Nadu.
8. Prashant Kumar takes charge as SBI CFO
State Bank of India said Prashant Kumar has taken charge as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Bank.
- Before Kumar, Anshula Kant, who has been promoted as Managing Director of SBI, was the CFO.
- Prior to this appointment, Kumar was designated as Deputy Managing Director (HR) & Corporate Development Officer of India’s largest bank
Current Affairs: 18 September 2018 – Daily News Update. For more update visit examstime.in