Current Affairs: 10 October 2018 – Daily News Update
1. World Post Day 2018
World Post Day is celebrated each year on 9 October, the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) in the Swiss Capital, Bern. It started in 1969.
- The theme for 2018 is: “Imagine you are a letter travelling through time. What message do you wish to convey to your readers?”
2. Nikki Haley resigns as US Ambassador to United Nations
US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley resigned directly to President Donald Trump.
- Nikki Haley served as US Ambassador to the United Nations since 2017.
- At United Nations, she has been a vocal critic of Russia and a supporter of US sanctions.
- President Trump has categorically stated that Nikki Haley will continue as the US Ambassador to the United Nations till the end of the year.
3. India ranks 147th in Oxfam world inequality index
India has been ranked among the bottom 10 countries in a new worldwide indexon the commitment of different nations to reduce inequalities in their populations.
- UK-based charity Oxfam International’s ‘Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index’ ranks India 147th among 157 countries.
- The index is topped by Denmark, based on its high and progressive taxation, high social spending and good protection of workers.
4. Minister of State for Commerce attends India–West Africa conclave in Nigeria
Minister of State for Commerce & Industry, Consumer Affairs and Food & Public Distribution, C. R. Chaudhary, is leading the Indian delegation to the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)- EXIM Bank, Regional Conclave on India-West Africa Project Partnership being held in Abuja, Nigeria on 8th – 9th October 2018.
- President and Vice President of Nigeria along with Ministers and Delegation of West African countries are participating in the Conclave.
- Niger has appreciated India’s support to build Mahatma Gandhi International Convention Centre (MGICC) in Niamey in Niger at the cost of USD 35.5 million on grant basis. The foundation stone of the project has been laid recently.
- India’s exports to Niger increased by more than 50% since 2014-15.
5. Jharkhand to become partner State in Goa Film Festival
Jharkhand would become partner State for the International Film Festival taking place at Goa between November 20 and 28.
- The consent from the Government came after the meeting of Chief Secretary Sudhir Tripathi and Secretary with Ministry of Information and Broadcasting at the Center Amit Khare.
- The officials also agreed to hold a regional film festival in any town of the State along with starting community radio at all the aspirational districts.
6. Mobile Health app for citizens of India Launched by IAF on Air Force Day
On the occasion of 86th anniversary, the Indian Air Force has launched an innovative mobile health App named ‘MedWatch’ in keeping with the Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Digital India, Ayushman Bharat and Mission Indradhanush’.
- The app is conceived by the doctors of IAF and developed in house by Directorate of Information Technology (DIT) with ZERO financial outlay.
- ‘MedWatch’ will provide correct, Scientific and authentic health information to airwarriors and all citizens of India.
7. J P Nadda inaugurates ‘2nd World Conference on Access to Medical Products
“India is deeply committed nationally and globally to achieving all public health goals. Together we are working towards providing highest possible standards of health care for our citizens. Universal health coverage is key to the Sustainable Development Goals 2030 agenda and to which India is firmly committed.”
- This was stated by Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare during his address at the inauguration of ‘2nd World Conference on Access to Medical Products: Achieving the SDGs 2030’.
- At the function, Shri J P Nadda released the Position Paper and launched the Information Sharing Platform Gateway for South-East Asia Regulatory Network (SEARN) developed by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, which will promote regulatory and health collaboration among the countries of the South-East Asia Region.
8. NITI Aayog to hold Workshop on Best Practices in International Arbitration
In an effort to strengthen dispute resolution mechanisms and to not only encourage ‘Make in India’ but also to ‘Resolve in India’, a workshop is being organised on ‘Best Practices in International Arbitration’ by NITI Aayog.
- The workshop is being organised in collaboration with ICC International Court of Arbitration in New Delhi on 10 October 2018.
- The workshop would cover basic concepts of international arbitration and include best practices on drafting, selection of arbitrators, enforcement of arbitral awards, role of courts in the arbitration life cycle, among other topics, with information sharing sessions to be conducted by world class faculty and practitioners from the United Kingdom, Singapore, Paris and India.
9. Dakar to host 2022 Youth Olympic Games
The fourth edition of the Youth Olympic Games will be held in Dakar, Senegal, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced in Buenos Aires, which is hosting the 2018 edition.
- The Dakar 2022 Youth Games will be the first ever Olympic event in Africa.
- The IOC selected the Dakar candidacy by acclamation based on the recommendation of the Evaluation Commission.
10. Singer Nitin Bali passes away in Mumbai road accident
Singer Nitin Bali died from injuries sustained in a car accident, police said. He was 47.
- Bali, who shot to fame in the 1990s singing remixed yesteryear hits, was injured when his car hit a divider on SV Road in suburban Borivali
Current Affairs: 10 October 2018 – Daily News Update.