Current Affairs: 06 November 2018 – Daily News Update
1. India, South Korea sign MoU on cooperation in sports
India and South Korea signed a Memorandum of Understanding on cooperation in sports in New Delhi.
- Sports Minister Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore and Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism of South Korea Do Jong-hwan signed the MoU.
- The objective of the MoU is to establish a framework to facilitate and promote cooperation between the two countries on the basis of reciprocity and mutual benefit.
2. Palau becomes first country to ban sunscreen to save coral reefs
The Western Pacific nation of Palau has become the first country to ban many kinds of sunscreen, in a move to protect its coral reefs from chemicals that scientists say cause significant damage
- Under the ban, which will take effect in 2020, “reef-toxic” sunscreen — defined as containing one of 10 prohibited chemicals, a list that could grow later — can be confiscated from tourists when they enter the country, and retailers who sell it can be fined up to $1,000.
3. Prime Minister felicitates crew of INS Arihant on completion of Nuclear Triad
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi received the crew of Strategic Strike Nuclear Submarine (SSBN) INS Arihant.
- The submarine recently returned from its first deterrence patrol, completing the establishment of the country’s survivable nuclear triad.
- The Arihant class (Sanskrit, for Slayer of Enemies) is a class of nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines being built for the Indian Navy.
4. India’s country pavilion at CIIE in Shanghai showcases India’s strength
On the invitation of China’s Ministry of Commerce, India has set up a Country Pavilion in the 1st China International Import Expo (CIIE) which was inaugurated at the National Exhibition & Convention Centre, Shanghai, China.
- During the Joint Economic Group Meeting held in Delhi in March 2018, China’s Commerce Minister Mr Zhong Shan had extended an invitation to participate in this event.
- China is India’s largest trading partner with a total trade expecting to reach $ 100 billion mark in near future. Both countries have expressed a resolve to address India’s concern regarding large trade deficit with China.
- Government of India is consistently making sincere efforts to promote its exports to China.
- This has been achieved through various bilateral meetings at the government level and continuous engagement of Indian businessmen with China.
5. Ministry of Food Processing Industries issues guidelines for OPERATION GREENS
Ministry of Food Processing Industries(MoFPI) under Union Minister Smt Harsimrat Kaur Badal has approved the operationalisation strategy for Operation Greens.
- Operation Greens was announced in the Budget speech of 2018-19 with an outlay of Rs 500 crores to stabilize the supply of Tomato, Onion and Potato(TOP) crops and to ensure availability of TOP crops throughout the country round the year without price volatility.
- NAFED will be the Nodal Agency to implement price stabilisation measures. MoFPI will provide 50% of the subsidy on the following two components:
- Transportation of Tomato Onion Potato(TOP) Crops from production to storage;
- Hiring of appropriate storage facilities for TOP Crops;
6. RBI initiates steps to set up digital Public Credit Registry (PCR) to capture details of all borrowers
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has initiated steps to set up wide-based digital Public Credit Registry (PCR) to capture loan information of individuals and corporate borrowers.
- In this regard, RBI has invited expression of interest (EOI) for developing PSC from companies with turnover of over Rs 100 crore in last three years.
- Setting up of PCR assumes significance amidst rising bad loans in financial system. The non-performing assets (NPAs) in Indian banking system is too much.
7. NDMC launches QR-enabled fridge magnets for digital payment of bills
New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) has launched quick response (QR)-enabled fridge magnets for digital payment of bills.
- The magnets are personalized and each customer will have unique QR Code mapped to their consumer account number.
- It is powered by SignCatch – an IT and services company.
- It is a two-dimensional (matrix) machine-readable bar code made up of black and white square. This code can be read by the camera of a smartphone.
8. AYUSH Ministry organizes National Seminar on Entrepreneurship and Business Development in Ayurveda
The National Seminar on Entrepreneurship and Business Development in Ayurveda was held in New Delhi.
- It was organised by Ministry of AYUSH in association with NITI Aayog with aim of encouraging entrepreneurs and Ayurveda stakeholders towards businesses opportunities in the sector.
- The seminar is expected to develop awareness among stakeholders about the business opportunities, encouraging young entrepreneurs to use of modern technologies and modern innovations in business development in the sector and highlight opportunities at global level.
9. Pakistan sweeps series by beating Newzealand
Babar Azam became the quickest batsman to reach 1,000 Twenty-20 international runs as Pakistan whitewashed New Zealand 3-0 with a comfortable 47-run win in the third and final match in Dubai.
- Azam, when on 48, completed 1,000 T20Is runs in just 26 innings, bettering Virat Kohli’s record of reaching the mark in 27 innings
Current Affairs: 06 November 2018 – Daily News Update