1. J P Nadda addresses the‘71st Session of the WHO Regional Committee for South-East Asia’
“India has fast-tracked many initiatives aimed at achieving all the core tenets of Universal Health Coverage i.e, strengthening health systems, improving access to free medicines & diagnostics and reducing catastrophic healthcare spending.”
- This was stated by Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare at the inauguration of the ‘71st Session of the WHO Regional Committee for South-East Asia,’.
- Shri J P Nadda further stated that India on its part firmly believes in the objective of attainment of the highest possible level of health, where health is a state of complete physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
- “Moving toward this objective, we have adopted the National Health Policy 2017 with the aim to provide affordable healthcare for all,” Shri Nadda added.
2. India to take part in tsunami mock drill
India along with 23 other nations, would be participating in a major Indian ocean-wide tsunami mock exercise (drill) on September 4 and 5.
- The exercise, known as IOWave18, is being organised by the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO.
- The purpose of exercise is to increase tsunami preparedness, evaluate response capabilities in each state and improve coordination throughout the region.
3. Jharkhand’s railway station, town to be renamed after Lord Krishna
The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has cleared the Jharkhand government’s proposal to rename a railway station in Garhwa district after Lord Krishna.
- The Raghubar Das-led state government had proposed that the railway station and Nagar Untari town should be renamed as Banshidhar Nagar after Bandshidhar Temple.
- The state government wants to develop the town on the lines of Mathura and Vrindavan in Uttar Pradesh to boost tourism in the city.
4. Delhi to host international chess tournament for school kids
The national capital will host an international chess tournament for school students next year which will be jointly organised by the governments of Delhi and Moscow, Education Minister Manish Sisodia said.
- Also, there would be a Moscow Festival in Delhi very soon,” he added.
- Sisodia is in Moscow representing the Delhi government at the World Education Summit.
5. National Housing Bank offers Rs 200 cr refinance facility to Kerala
To provide relief to the households having annual income up to Rs 3 lakh in rural areas and up to Rs 6 lakh in urban areas in the floods-hit state of Kerala, National Housing Bank (NHB) has announced a refinance assistance of Rs 200 crore.
- This refinance facility would facilitate concessional rate of interest for construction/repair and renovation of houses, through primary lending institutions.
- Individual housing loans, which have been disbursed on or after August 1, 2018 and till June 30, 2019 by primary lending institutions in rural and urban areas of Kerala, are covered under this assistance.
6. Alastair Cook retires from international cricket
Alastair Cook, England’s leading Test run-scorer, is to retire from international cricket after fifth Test against India, the 33-year-old has annoucned.
- Cook, who will play his 161st test on 7 September, is the sixth highest scorer in test cricket with 12,254 runs, including 32 centuries.
- The left-handed opening batsman captained England in 59 tests.
7. Subramaniam Badrinath Retires From All Forms Of Cricket
Former India and Tamil Nadu batsman Subramaniam Badrinath has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- With 7,850 runs under his belt, Badrinath finished as the sixth-highest scorer in the Ranji Trophy.
- His career-best being the 250 that he scored against Mumbai in 2009.
- The 38-year-old batsman scored 10,245 first-class runs from 145 games, including 32 centuries.
8. Former footballer Arthur Pereira dead
Former Maharashtra football player Arthur Pereira died in Mumbai. He was 70.
- Pereira toured Russia as a striker with the Indian team in 1971.
- He also represented Maharashtra in the national championships for the Santosh Trophy from 1971 to 1976.
Current Affairs: 04 September 2018 – Daily News Update. For more update on competitive exams visit. examstime.in